DreamHost recently posted an article on their site about password management: DreamHost: How to Create Strong Passwords to Keep Your Website Safe. Just the list of points is much better than what I’m used to seeing:
- Make your password long.
- Don’t use a common phrase.
- Test your password.
- Don’t reuse your password.
- Use a password manager.
- Don’t store passwords in your browser.
- Follow the rules every time.
- Use two-factor authentication.
- Consider the Passphrase/Diceware Method.
- Use security questions wisely.
- Keep an eye on your smartphone.
I still have to actually read the specifics for each, but that list alone is a great guide on modern password management.